MHB’s Angelica, Jenny, Daphne, Sharon, Andy and our friends headed over to Bangsar Shopping Centre on 14 September 2014 for the preview of El Corazon: The Heart of Wine. The event is a new promotion at La Bodega which happens every Sunday afternoon from 12.00 noon till 4.00pm and features an afternoon of free flow cocktails and cava served with one (1) savoury platter of Spanish canapes and one (1) dessert platter for just RM60.00++ per pax.
There will be a featured alcohol of the month and for the month of September, it is Tio Pepe Fino Muy Seco sherry from Spain. I actually attended a Tio Pepe sherry tasting session in La Bodega Bangsar Shopping Centre back in July and you can read more about it here – https://timchew.net/2014/07/17/tio-pepe-sherry-wine-tasting-at-la-bodega-bsc-fuego-troika/
The savoury food platter consists of several canapes serves with the seafood and chicken paella:
Paella Valenciana Mixta – Spanish rice cooked in a huge paella pan with prawns, chicken, mussels, and clams with saffron, peppers and peas
Croquetas Bacalao – Cod fish croquettes served with chili mayonnaise
Pinchos Morunos – Marinated chicken on toast with garlic mayonnaise (aka aioli)
Calamares Fritos – Deep-fried fresh squids served with garlic mayonnaise
I really liked the fried calamari and the cod fish croquettes. The girls were wondering what was in the croquettes as it certainly didn’t taste like your normal fried fish fingers. The inside had a nice and soft texture while the outside was crispy! The paella was nice too and came loaded with lots of seafood including mussels, prawns and clams.
I’m not much of a dessert person as I’m not much of a sweet tooth however the girls seemed to like the macarons.
- Creme Catalana – The Spanish version of creme brulee
- Chocolate Brownie – Classic brownie served with basil cream
- Assorted Macarons
The range of Tio Pepe cocktails available included:
- Garden Sprite – A mix of Tio Pepe, lychee liqueur, strawberries, oranges, and mint leaves.
- Citrus Cup – A goblet of oranges made perfect with a dash of drambuie and Tio Pepe. The girls liked this one as it was like drinking orange juice.
- Toffee Apple – A martini built on Tio Pepe, Broker’s Gin, white creme de cacao, freshly muddled apples and brown sugar.
- Oceanic – Consisting of blue curacao, orange juice and Tio Pepe, built in a tall glass creating a lovely ocean effect of blue to green.
- Salmon Roll – A unique martini consisting Tio Pepe and Martinin Blanco shaken and double strained into a martini glass and garnished with smoked salmon roll on a stick. This was my favourite cocktail as it was not your typical sweet cocktail but rather had hints of savouriness from the smoked salmon.
And there were also two (2) Aperol based cocktails:
- Aperol Soda – Aperol and soda. Quite refreshing with a mix of both sweet and bitter flavours from the Aperol.
- Aperol Sour – A zesty mix of Aperol, lemon juice and simple syrup.
La Bodega BSC is located at:
G109, Ground Floor, Bangsar Shopping Centre,
285, Jalan Maarof,
Tel: 603 2287 2768
Operating hours: Monday – Sunday, 8.00am – 1.00am
More info at www.gastrodome.com.my
Photo credits: Andy Kho Photography (www.andykho.com) and author’s own
Photos with Andy Kho’s watermark were shot using the Sony NEX 6. As you may notice, the Sony NEX 6 is already a very capable camera and I expect its replacement model the Sony a6000 to be even better. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to review it soon.
Photos without Andy Kho’s watermark were shot with the new Sony a5100 and you can get more info on the camera here – Sony Malaysia’s website (click here).
Pingback: Lifejuice at 1 Utama & Spanish National Day Party at La Bodega, Bangsar Shopping Centre | Adventures of a Tomcat