[Food & Beverage]
Suzanne and I headed over to Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel for their media preview of the Flavours of Mexico at Vogue Café by guest Chef Jorge Carlos Gonzalez Rangel in collaboration with the Mexican Embassy in Malaysia.
The special flavours of Mexico buffet features an array of indigenous Mexican dishes from the region of Oaxaca in Southern Mexico. Chef Jorge Carlos who brings with him a wealth of experience to give Malaysians a chance to enjoy both traditional and contemporary Mexican cuisine prepared with imported Mexican ingredients as well as locally sourced ingredients.
We got to try traditional Mexican delicacies such as Mexican shrimp soup, Stuffed chili pasilla in goat cheese & nut sauce, Cream of black bean with julienned crispy corn tortillas, Orange and mezcal mousse, Oaxacan chocolate & chili meringues and more.
I have eaten Mexican food before but it’s more the commercial type like tacos and tortillas so to have authentic indigenous Mexican dishes was quite an eye-opener to me. I generally liked most of the savoury dishes especially the Tlayudas (big corn tortillas) with the fiery hot habanero sauce! For the desserts, I thought the orange and mezcal mousse, and the sweet potato or pumpkin in Mexican brown sugar honey were pretty delicious!
For restaurant reservations, call 03 2716 9388. This special buffet is priced at RM108.00++ per person and runs from 24 to 30 November 2014. All prices are subject to 10% service charge and 6% service tax.
FLAVOURS OF MEXICO AT VOGUE CAFÉ MENU
- Black mole
- Yellow mole
- Green mole
- Basmati rice
- Mexican shrimp soup
- Stuffed chili pasilla in a sauce of goat cheese and nuts
- Mix baby salad
- Hibiscus flower vinaigrette
- Chintextle dip (paste based on pasilla chili, garlic and dried shrimp)
- Hierbasanta dressing
- Tlayudas (big corn tortillas)
- Red chili sauce
- Green chili sauce
- Refried beans with avocado leaf
- Quesillo (traditional Oaxacan cheese)
DISHES OF LOCALLY SOURCED MEXICAN INGREDIENTS
- Fresh raw tuna fish with corn, guacamole on a sauce of chipotle
- Cream of black bean with a julienne of crispy corn tortillas
- Tamarind black mole with chicken
- Mango ceviche
- Nicoatole oaxaqueño (sweet gelatine based on corn and milk)
- Orange and mezcal mousse
- Figs with tequila reduction and vanilla cream tart
- Sweet potato or pumpkin in Mexican brown sugar honey
- Meringues of Oaxacan chocolate and chili
Of course there are the usual buffet favourites.
Renaissance Kuala Lumpur Hotel is located at:
Corner of Jalan Sultan Ismail and Jalan Ampang,
50450 Kuala Lumpur,
Tel: 03-2162 2233